Best Art Auction Houses
Our Selection of Leading Auctioneers from around the world. Click on the Name to see their History, Website and related Books (As Available).
– Butterfields Auctioneers, was founded in 1865 and now forms part of eBay, the online world’s aggregator of garage sales.
– British auction house, operating within all sectors of the fine art, antiques and collectables market.
– Founded twenty two years after its "rival", Sotheby´s, Christie’s was founded in 1766, by James Christie, an Englishman.
– Founded in 1707, Dorotheum is Eastern Europe´s leading Auction house, operating with old masters, 19th century paintings, modern and contemporary art, as well as on various types of antiques, such as glass and porcelain, art nouveau, silver, sculptures, antiquities, furniture, design, frames, jewellery, and watches.
Phillips de Pury
– PHILLIPS AUCTIONEERS, founded in 1796 by Harry Phillips, was selling some of the most important collections in Europe in the beginning of the 19th century, including Queen Marie-Antoinette’s.
– Beginning as an humble books seller, Sotheby´s has risen to be a multinational auction house, with offices in a 100 countries and auction sales of just under $2 Billion, in 1998.